Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bunny!

Saturday night is usually our big cooking night - it's too time cosuming to be elaborate during the week, but roll around Saturday morning and I want to annoy Jamie over breakfast discussing 20 different options of what we could eat.  I grew up in a house where what's for dinner is discussed over breakfast, and I don't intend on letting the tradition die.
Bunny is a bit uncommon and we both really like it, so we decided early on that's what we'd do.  We decided on a recipe from the excellent Meat cookbook (thanks Em) - rabbit braised with grapes and reisling.  Delicious.
While be was browning off the bits of bunny, Jamie was concerned he was spattering oil on the pages of the cookbook, but that's actually an effect I love.  I don't think cookbooks sould be pristine and unused.  They should be grease spattered, dough smeared and often used.  I love flicking through cookbooks and finding a particularily oil marked page.  It always makes me smile and think back on the times I've made that meal.  I'm often tempted to casually throw bits of food at open cookbooks, just to get that loved and used look. 

2 comments:

  1. Cannot agree more - a cookbook without makes is like a cake without icing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. damn tootin' I think A Cooks Companion is easily our most splattered and I'm looking forward to sullying many a page of Pork and Sons when we make it home.

    ReplyDelete