Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Back to work

I was totally dreading going back to work Monday. I had anxiety dreams all Sunday night - I was late for an exam, I hadn't studied the right thing, my calculator wouldn't work (lord knows I've never done an exam I need a calculator for) etc. Then on the train ride into work I just wanted to be anyone else doing anything else. I really had to force myself to walk in the front door.
Having said all that it really wasn't that bad. At all. Once I got through my 800 or so emails, I had reasonably interesting stuff to do, and that theme has carried through the last few days.
I always get like this about going back to work after a holiday. But we are trying to mix things up a bit this year. Doing different stuff we wouldn't normally do, and getting out of the comfort zone a bit. For example, yesterday in the paper, I read about a Mexican joint in Glebe that has $3 tacos on a Tuesday night, so I cut it out and brought it home. Only minutes later we were in the car zooming off to Glebe. This might not seem like a big deal, but we so rarley get in the car to go out for dinner (with good reason given where we live, but it's great to try new places in new suburbs), and Jamie isn't the biggest fan of Mexican, but he was right into it. Unfortunately the restaurant was booked out, but we had yummy Vietnamese instead. And we are booked in for cheap tacos next week.
Other different things we are doing include bushwalking, the 2km Cole Classic ocean swim in Feb, less TV, going to the opening of the Sydney Festival etc. I'm really liking doing things a bit differently - hopefully we can carry it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment