Monday, February 1, 2010

Baking

I'm not a big baker, never have been.  I'd rather have my way with a hunk of pork belly than faff around with flour and sugar.  I just think baking is too unpredictable.  You have to be exact and so many things can go wrong.  You can't just freestyle like you can with say, a stew.  Plus, I don't really have a sweet tooth, so my motivation levels for whipping out the cake tin are minimal.
However, this weekend I gave it a crack with some pumpkin and lemonade scones, the recipe of which featured in the latest Delicious, via Ben O'Donoghue.  This is the finished product.
Just FYI - turns out you can't whip low fat cream.  YES, I bought low fat cream.  I had it going in the kenwood for about five minutes, where it thickened, but didn't whip properly.  End result was yummy, but I think I used pumpking that was too "wet" which thwarted the scones rising.  So, They were a bit doughy, but still yummy.  Not great though.  I rest my case against baking.

2 comments:

  1. MJ these look delicious! Yum! Nice work on the baking, you are just too much of an artisan to be constricted with restrictive recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to have you reign as master baker of the universe... no one could ever come close, and I'm certainly not going to try.

    ReplyDelete