Sunday, November 8, 2009

Running

J-Mo and I did a 10km run this morning out at Homebush. The course was basically around the Olympic stuff, and they called it a "run 4 fun". Let me tell you, there was nothing fun about it. Firstly it was in Homebush, which gets a big bap bow on the scale of fun places to be, and the course was just boring, secondly, it was HUMID and there weren't enough drink stations. We finished three hours ago and my fancy quick dry running top is still saturated with sweat.
To be honest, I pretty much hated every minute of it. I totally battled through the whole thing and just wasn't feeling good (J-Mo totally twisted my arm last night and convinced me to polish off a bottle of bubbles with him - we might take that out of our pre-race preparations next time). And I so don't go well running in humidity. But I had fancy new pants, and lots of fun music to make it all exciting.
A highlight was yelling at a woman (who was a spectator, but pretty much standing on the course) smoking. She let off this puff of smoke which pretty much got me straight in the face so I stopped and yelled "are you fucking kidding me, what the fuck is wrong with you" and kept running. I'm sure she had something to say back, but I certainly didn't hear it with my earphones in.
My motivation was pretty much finding someone fat who was in front of me and telling myself I had to overtake them because they were fatter than me. I guess it got me through, but it's perhaps not the best technique...
There were about 6,000 people who did it, and it was fun seeing so many people and running with them. And because it was in Homebush, there is parking galore, so it was easy to get in and out.
I have been training for this for a while, and wasn't sure if it was overly ambitious to try and do it in under an hour. Turns out that was a reasonable goal, I just didn't do it. Bummer. I clocked 1 hour 1 minute and 14 seconds. If I'd have known it would have been so close I'm sure I could have pushed it to get under an hour, but whatever. J-Mo did one hour and 50 seconds, so he was even closer. He zoomed off at the start but slowed his pace down, where I think I was more consistent with pace. I saw him a few times, because there are lots of parts where you double back on yourself, so that was fun. Really, I was more concerned about running that far than how fast I ran, but now I know I can do it, I'll try and get under an hour next time.
BTW - the pace we ran is pretty much the pace Muz and Em ran a whole marathon at. And let me tell you, the thought of doing what we did this morning four times makes me really appreciate what those two crazy kids did.
So now we are off for lunch with Locko and Sam (from Perth) and their respective lady friends. Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment