Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Diana Krall!

So, on Saturday night, we made the trip to the Hunter Valley to see a couple of my favourite girls in action in A Day on the Green.  Except we didn't go for the whole day because it was too hard to tear ourselves away from our amazing hotel view (see the next post for more about that).  We saw most of Madeline Peyroux, who is one of my favourites.  As you can tell by her name, she's got a lot of French influence, but she's American.  She does lots of pretty, jazzy, melodic songs and she's on high rotation around here.  I must admit I liked her less after seeing her in person (the Michael Buble syndrome), mainly because she was wearing a PIRATE shirt.  You can't really see it on the screen, but trust me.  It wasn't a good thing.
But enough about her and on to Diana.  If you know me at all, you've probably paid out on me for my fondness for the Canadian jazz sensation that is Diana.  She's awesome.  I have all her CDs, and I think that actually made it hard to go to her concert because I really wanted her to play my favourite songs, not just mostly her new stuff.  I was dying for her to play the cover of Catie and Linds' wedding song "Case of You," which she does the most amazing version of, but sadly, she didn't.  She still was so great though.  She was at the piano the whole time, and had a trio with her, and they all looked like they were having a great time.  I don't think Diana is totally comfortable in the spotlight, and is much happier to blend in with three other people than to be the singing/piano playing centre of attention.  Her voice was totally flawless though - we could have been listening to a CD.
So, my love is not in any way whittled.  I just wish it could have lasted longer.  And that she took (my) requests.  BTW - we weren't as close as these pics might lead you to believe - the pics are of the big screen to the side of the stage.  I'd definitely see her again, and it was a beautiful night to which we could BYO cheese and pate and drink wine.  Nothing wrong here.

No comments:

Post a Comment