Saturday, October 24, 2009

Is there a finer sight?

I had a lieu day off yesterday after working last Sunday, and really wanted to make a nice dinner. So I piled up the cookbooks on the couch, put on some Mad Men, and made tea. I just couldn't decide though - I was being totally indecisive and nothing was really grabbing me. I ended up finding something I liked, but then after ringing the reasonable butcher (not it's real name - but the explanation for the nickname is obvious when you compare it to Hudsons) and Hudsons, with neither having skirt steak in stock, it was back to the books. I seriously looked for a couple of hours, but nothing excited me... that is, until I came to the "Meat" cookbook (which is excellent BTW - thanks Em) and saw a picture of a burger, and I was totally sold. This magnificent specimen has minced bacon, onion, Dijon, Worcestershire sauce and egg in the patty. I think some good smoked bacon really made a difference. I made my favourite oven chips with it - from scratch, naturally. The secret is to par-boil the chips before you put them in the oven (lots of EVOO, rosemary, chili flakes and Parmesan - trust me, it's so good). And of course, you can't have chips without mayo. Well I can't anyway. I know it's like pure fat, but OMG, it's just so good. I couldn't help myself before I took the pic, I had to quickly shove some mayo laden chips in my mouth... which you can probably tell, because the mayo is a bit of a mess, but whatever.
In other news, my cold turned out to be far from mild, and I still have this dry hacking cough that won't go away. What it will do however is send Jamie to the spare room at three in the morning... Making it only the second time we've been together he's slept in the spare room (the first time he had gastro and was intermitently throwing up in a bucket next to the bed, so thought he'd do it in the spare room).

No comments:

Post a Comment