Friday, May 1, 2009

My new BFF... French CJ.

So, last night I went to the opening of the new Sydney Uni law school. They used to have the law school in the city, right next to the courts, but they've just moved it back on campus. The building is really cool That U shaped thing in the foreground sends natural light down into the library. There were Judges, attorney generals, the Governor-General (who had on a really cute fuschia coat - I like her a lot), etc etc. I went straight for none other than Chief Justice of the High Court, Robert French. I was just about to tap him on the shoulder when speeches started, so was temporarily thwarted. After the speeches he walked to the other side of the room (not because I was stalking him)... BUT then later when I was chatting with one of the guys from work, French CJ, came over and said hi TO ME!!! He remembered me from when I used to write about him in WA, and I totally had like nearly 10 mins of one on one with the highest judge in the land!!! Eppp!!! He totally cracked up at my jokes too - like he was holding this strange (and apparently rare) book of old Indian law he was telling me about, and I was all "I presume you don't always carry it this close to your heart" - ah ha ha. Hilarious. Other topics discussed were: court reporting, Perth, his sons (Rob, the hot one, is getting married), the decision handed down by the High Court that day, and the excellent standard of legal reporting at the Fin. That Lindsay Dodd fellow also came up in conversation through the Notre Dame and Tom link, and, yes, Linds, the CJ of the High Court asked after you. Awesome... I was totally stoked and giving myself high fives for the rest of the night. La la la. So now me and the CJ are BFF's.
The library has a reading room made to look like a High Court bench (where my BFF sits)! It's so cool. There are lots of little alcoves and reading rooms, and it was busy with dilligent students, even at 7:30 on a Thursday night.
It is really an amazing building, but having said all that, I'd still rather have gone to uni in Freo and have the law library be an old stable.
After lots of bubbly (not French, but not bad) and tasty canapes (which I'd give a 7 out of 10 - I've had better, but I've definitely had worse), I skipped off to Pizza e Birra for dinner with the hubby and a couple of his friends who were in town visiting.
And because I worked last Sunday, I have today off!!! Yippee. So I had a lovely long sleep in, I'm going to clean the house, plan what to cook over the weekend and next week, and then go for a massage. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment