Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Cole

Sydney has been beset by absolutely terrible weather for the last week - thunderstorms, POURING rain, and humidity.  And on Sunday morning we were due to do our Cole Classic open water swim.  All Saturday I was announcing to everyone that there was no way they'd let it go ahead and it would be cancelled for sure.  Turns out no.  The swim was supposed to be from Shelly Beach to Manly beach, but they changed the course because Manly beach was closed.  I was really dreading it, but we'd resolved that if it was on, we were doing it.
To prove I'm not embelishing the weather conditions:
So, bright and early, the support crew - Em, Muz and Pedro tuned up, and we were off. It is apparently the biggest ocean swim in the world - 4,500 competitors. Because there are so many people they do the starts in waves
Here we are before the event - with our fears of pounding surf somewhat allayed, but still a bit hesitant.  My game plan was to get a prime possy in the start pack and get out the front and then just... swim. 
I've acquired some contact lenses to aid with that whole business of being able to see - even looking at myself in the mirror without glasses freaks me out a bit, but they really are useful for occassions when you can't wear glasses i.e. when swimming.

In the zone...
And the 20 - 30 year old girls are off.  I could have been quicker off the beach, but I was in the front of the pack, so didn't have to climb over people and get smacked in the head to get away.  My biggest concern was getting beaten up in the water, but I think I was overly concerned.  I did some damage - way more damage than was done to me.  I think having played a bit of water polo certainly helped and gives you the instinct to kick out at anyone who touches you.  And I also deployed the move taught to us by an ocean swimming coach last week, where if someone is in your way, you basically swim over the top of them, and grab them by their hip and pull them out of the way.  Fun times.  I think there were a few stunned people after I tried that.  Ha ha.  I heard one person swearing at me.  Pee hee.  Toughen up honey.
Of course, Pedro was an integral part of the team, and helped lick salt water off me at the end.  And when I say helped, there wasn't anyone else licking salt water off me, nor was I licking salt water off myself.  He was totally soliciting pats and having a fun time.
And here I am - done.  I think my time was around 35 minutes (for 2km), and we had big swell, so I was pretty happy.  Em said I finished top 10 in my age group, which is hilarious given how much I trained.
Of course, Jamie did it too, and did a great job.  We think he did it in about 50 minutes, but we'll find out tomorrow in the paper.
Naturally, I had a humongous burger and chips, with a side of aoili for lunch.  It was so delicious, especially because I felt I'd earned it (this whole mentality of rewarding myself with food when I excercise is going to get me in trouble).
We enjoyed the whole thing so much, we are going back for more (ocean swims- not burgers, it goes without saying we'll be going back for burgers).

No comments:

Post a Comment