Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Meat free Monday

Jamie and I have been doing meat free Mondays for about three months now!  And we've stuck with it, which is mildly surprising to me.  I thought Jamie wouldn't be that into it, but he totally is.  It's sometimes hard to break away from rice and pasta based dishes, but it's not like eating rice and pasta are a hardship, so we've been really enjoying it.
Our motivation is mostly for health reasons - really, we don't need to eat meat 7 days a week, and it's just so easy to do without thinking about it.  Also I'm trying not to buy unhappy meat from the supermarket any more, which means the meat I do buy is more expensive, therefore I should try to buy less.
Last night was a definite highlight in the MFM menus to date.  I've unknowingly clipped this recipe and stuck it in my collection three separate times over the years, so there must be something very appealing about it to me.  Which is probably the fact that it's spicy deep fried tofu with a sauce based on a wholly unreasonable amount of butter.  And it is OMG delicious.  I'd happily go without meat for something this tasty most days of the week.  It's got amazing texture - crunchy on the outside and soft and silky on the inside, the sauce is dark, intense, spicy and peppery, and it is totally fulfilling and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment