Monday, July 12, 2010

Shower that baby!

We had a baby shower for Em a couple of weekends ago, which was really fun and pretty.  We spent a few hours sitting outside in the sun, eating and drinking tea and bubbles.  Drew and Liam were in town, and Drew and I were on food catering duties. 
Those who know Drew and I may be surprised that we work fantastically together, even in confined spaces.  The natural synergy even lends itself to dividing us into savoury and sweet.  We shopped on Friday (with a quick stopover for Dank St chicken sandies and bubbles), and did some of our stuff Friday afternoon, and then after dinner at Mah Jong Room (yum!) it was up early to finish off our treats.  Even for us, I think we outdid ourselves.  This is how everything looked before we messed it up.  Em's friend Ash was on design patrol - hence things looking so pretty.  If I was left in charge it would not have looked nearly so lovely.
Drew's white chocolate and mango bunny slice.  The blog has tuned the picture on its side, and lord knows I don't know how to change it, but they are in the shapes of bunny heads! 
The most delicious chicken sandies.  Based on a Parsons recipe, remembered very well by Drew.  I think these were my fav of the day.
Onion tart (Stephanie Alexander recipe).  I've done this one a few times now, and I think her portions of egg to cream are a bit out because it takes FOREVER to set, but who cares, it's so tasty.
The lovely baby mama, with hilarious baby double chocolate cupcakes.  Bunny is getting bigger and bigger, and it's so lovely to see.  I even felt her kick the other day!
A close up of the baby cupcakes in case you didn't get the baby reference.  Might I also add these cupcakes have been injected - literally injected - with vanialla sugar syrup.
And finally, Bourke Street Bakery pork and fennel sausage rolls.  So delicious.

4 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Those chicken sandwiches look yummy. Do you have the recipe?

    Shae

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a bit of improvisation, but from what I can remember - we poached some chicken breasts, and then added mayo, dijon mustard, dill, and parsley maybe? I'm going to get Drew to chime in on this one... he'll remember better than me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We poached 4 chicken breasts in water with some pepper corns, parsley, star anise and lemon rind. I would have popped some juniper berries in too if we had any handy.

    Once the chicken has cooled, you chop it or tear it into chunks and pulse in the food processor.

    Then finely dice 2 stalks of celery (or cucumber with the skin and seeds removed) and add to the chicken. We added Dill, Continental Parsley and mayo and dijon (1 part dijon to 3 parts mayo). I think we used about a cup of mayo and a third of a cup of dijon. THen add salt and pepper to taste. The mix should be moist without being runny.

    ReplyDelete