Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Chinatown fun



Last time I went to Chinatown and the big Asian supermarket I was kicking myself that I didn't take my camera, but Jamie and I were on a mission recently, and camera was in hand.

So this is the supermarket - full of mysterious and tasty treasures. It really is fantastically exciting just walking around looking at things, let alone buying treasures to take home.

Unfortunately I told Jamie we only needed one thing, and he kept me pretty on track, only allowing for slight diversions.
BBQ King is a Sydney institution, and we picked up some BBQ pork for our quay teow (nom nom nom). It's where all the chefs hang out at two in the morning, where you can get any variety of delicious BBQ meat you want, and where I once asked staff what they were eating and when they told me it wasn't on the menu, I got them to write it down (in Chinese characters) and I carry it around in my wallet so I can ask for it every time we go. I think it's stir fried lettuce with crispy skinned pork and tons of garlic, but I can't be sure. And that's all part of the fun.


May I introduce you to Din Tai Fung. It's a global chain, but this is the only one in Australia. And it will change your life. NEVER have I had a dumpling so tasty - get this - there is soup on the inside of the dumpling. You are supposed to stab it to release the soup before you eat it, and then you drink the golden, delicious, oh so tasty broth. I've given it a lot of consideration, and I am willing to say that I think this is my favourite Sydney dining experience.



We ordered this little veggie dumplings for a bit of variety, but I think from now on I'll just stick to the soup dumplings. Not that these weren't awesome, just not as awesome.






This is one of my favourite Chinese dishes, and I make it at home pretty regularly. Not as good as this, but I think I've got the ingredients sussed.









Behold, the soup dumpling. If I could bathe in the warm, hearty, oh so delicious soup, I would. GENIUS.
Tetsuya has been spotted here partaking in the genius, and the SMH food reviewer also raves.
If you are visiting Sydney, you must try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment