Tuesday, January 24, 2012

25 weeks

Lots of things make me angry and send me into fits of ranting.  This is exacerbated by pregnancy - if I think of anything that normally irritates me, and stick the phrase "and I'm six months pregnant" in my complaint somewhere, it just has extra gravitas - such as:
- Waiting at a taxi rank when some bloke 20 metres down the road sticks out his hand and gets the cab that would have been coming to the rank, and the taxi stops for him, "and I'm six months pregnant".
- When the bank won't change my billing address for a credit card I rarely use because I can't recall the last time I used it, and that's their stupid security question, "and I'm six months pregnant".
- When you call the salvos to come pick up some furniture you don't want and they tell you they can't disassemble a bed because of insurance, and that you have to do it yourself if you want them to take it "and I'm six months pregnant".
See, it works in all instances.
I don't think pregnant ladies should be the subject of a great deal of special treatment merely because they are creating new life, however one thing I'm pretty firm in my belief on is that people should stand for pregnant ladies in general on public transport.  Especially the people sitting in the special needs seats, everyone else can keep their seats at the back of the bus.  I don't even want a seat half the time, but the fact that every f***er sits there staring at their phones and looking anywhere but at me makes me so angry.  I think I'm going to start taking pictures of people and sending them to the Daily Telegraph or something.  There is no mistaking the fact I am pregnant, and it's pretty much a 50/50 chance that anyone will offer me a seat on the bus.  Really humanity?  Really??  This is the best you can do??  Furthermore - looking up sullenly, while not getting up, and asking resentfully "do you want to sit down" does not a courteous bus traveller make.  Get the f**k up.  One more thing - it's usually women who offer their seats.  Now I'm a modern lady, and I don't want or expect any guy to give me a seat under normal circumstances, but I'm sorry boys, you need to get your cheap polyester suits off that seat, tone down the Brut 33 and get some manners (big shout out to the guy directly in front of me on the 301 bus this morning).
I've been walking in to work and home a lot lately.  I think I'll stick to it.
Anyway, off on our babymoon tomorrow!  Yipeee!
Also, I wasn't just making it up about everyone wanting dragon babies - this article from the WSJ has interviews with people who are getting fertility treatments so they can have dragon babies!

2 comments:

  1. I think a name and shame blog with pictures of everyone who didn't stand up for you has great potential to go properly viral.

    Something like

    people-who-didnt-offer-me-a-seat.com/and-I'm-six-months-pregnant

    Hmm, might need to workshop the URL a touch.

    ReplyDelete