Monday, October 22, 2012

Surry Hills

Surry Hills is undoubtedly one of those places in Sydney that people just want to be.  Which is why it's so awesome (restaurants, shops, bars, cafes, parks), and sometimes not so awesome (parking, hipsters, no bookings at restaurants, neighbours who have terrible taste in music and very loud speakers).  I prefer mid week Surry Hills when it seems to be mostly locals around, rather than weekend Surry Hills when everyone floods in from everywhere.  Especially now, I spend a lot of time walking around outside, and most times when I'm out, I bump into another mum with a pram that I know (the mum, not the pram, although I am pretty good at identifying prams too) and have a chat, or just start talking to someone in the park.  It's nice, and there is this whole baby community of people around, and everyone just reaches out to each other.  But of course that isn't unique to Surry Hills.  I'm really grateful to live somewhere where I barely have to use a car to do what I want, and there really isn't much that I could want to do, buy or eat that isn't within walking distance.
But it isn't just me who thinks SH is awesome!  Recently, The Hills were named as one of the 50 most stylish suburbs in the world.  It was the only suburb in Australia to make the list (I've never heard of the website that made the list, but who cares!  Surry Hills is on it and that's where I LIVE).
Read about it here

No comments:

Post a Comment